Wednesday 3 November 2010

How to cope with interviews



The Guardian job forums this week focused on how to cope with interviews. You can be the most composed, articulate and personable person but in an interview situation you go to pieces!
Attending for an interview can be an extremely nerve racking experience. Being fully prepared will make the process a whole lot easier, allowing you to put the nerves to one side and start on the journey to a successful interview and to securing that job! Words Worth Reading can offer interview preparation packages to help you ace your interview.

Denise Taylor is a chartered psychologist and an expert in assessment and recruitment. She offers some advice for body language in the interview:

Question

'whenever I'm in an interview, even though I don't feel nervous, as soon as I open my mouth, my voice starts shaking and my body language comes across as being not at all confident. I think I am able to rationalise nerves, but my body language betrays me and expresses my hidden, rationalised emotional state! I have no problem talking to people from all backgrounds and stratas of society on a daily basis, but put me in an interview environment and I go to pot! '


Answer

'There are various techniques that can help; something I share with my career coaching clients is to talk outloud as much as you can. this can be as you prepare for the interview, say the questions out loud bot silently in your head. Then just talk about anything as you travel to the interview, easier if you are driving I know, but you could talk outloud as you walk towards the building. It makes you more relaxed.

Also, breath deeply, get yourself centred and remember times when you have found it easy to talk with others and imagine yourself there.

Rather than see this as an all important interview where the power is in the interviewers hands, you could reframe it to be much more two way, it is as important that you decide if you want this job and to work for this company. Then see yourself as a consultant talking about your job.'

No comments: