|Reproduced under license: Jan David Hanrath, Flickr|
In 2014, the government published William Sieghart’Independent Library Report for England. Calling for clear local decision-making and a national strategy to secure the future of public libraries in England.
A Leadership for Libraries Taskforce was formed by the Department for Culture, and Sport. The taskforce has now published a draft Ambition document for public libraries in England. The document outlines:
- the support and value libraries currently offer their local communities.
- examples of existing good practice.
- a clear articulation of the government and Taskforce’s vision for public libraries in England.
- plans of action to redefine the focus of libraries.
- decision makers in local and central government
- members of the library workforce
- partners of or suppliers to libraries
- members of the public who are active users and supporters of libraries
- what libraries can achieve
- how we can make this happen
- governance and delivery
- new ways of working
- marketing and communications
- action plan