At the time of the inspection North Shore Nursing home was at capacity, providing accommodation and nursing care to 25 people.
North Shore Nursing home is rated Outstanding in all categories.
- The registered manager was proactive in ensuring people accessed healthcare services quickly.
- Their pioneering techniques greatly improved people's lives because they assisted staff to implement treatment before problems deteriorated.
- The management team had exceptional procedures for the preparation of meals, delivery of nutritional support and monitoring of associated needs.
- People were supported to have maximum choice and control of their lives and staff supported them in the least restrictive way possible.
- Staff maintained up-to-the-minute documentation to assure they continuously met the person's changing capacity and support requirements.
- The registered manager had an exceptional initiative for training and to assist staff to apply their learning in practice. They used team meetings, handovers, supervision and group discussions to follow training up with observation, question and answer sessions, competency testing and role-play.
- Staff had a very good grasp of the Human Rights Act 1998 and implemented this in their work. They had relevant training and demonstrated an in-depth awareness of inclusion, discrimination, diversity and prejudice.
- Staff continuously kept people and their representatives fully informed and involved, which helped them to take ownership of their treatment.
- Staff frequently evaluated care documents to ensure they were updated to people's changing wishes and health to optimise their end of life experiences.
- The management team promoted an authentic culture of transparency at North Shore through extensive quality assurance audits and feedback systems.
“Our inspectors were told many times, by residents and their relatives, about how much their health has improved whilst at the service. One resident’s relative told us it ‘should be an example to other homes’ – I agree. The compassion and dignity we witnessed was reinforced by strong and evolving policies and procedures, implemented by devoted and knowledgeable staff.
“We were impressed by the organised, proactive and dedicated management of the service. It was clear that safe high quality person-centred care was the priority. We saw a commitment to continually improving the care being provided by engaging with the residents and their families.
“It is wonderful to see a service embrace innovation and continually develop improvements to enrich people’s lives in care. This service is absolutely Outstanding, well done.”