Monday, 20 March 2017

Liverpool Care Home Successfully Prosecuted by CQC

A care provider that failed in its duty to provide safe care and treatment has been ordered to pay £82,429.72 in fines and costs by Liverpool Magistrates’ Court.

The Care Quality Commission brought the prosecution against the owners of Mossley Manor Care Home, following 14 offences including:
  • Failing to provide safe care and treatment resulting in residents being exposed to significant risk of avoidable harm,
  • Failure to notify the CQC of the deaths of ten residents,
  • Failure to notify the CQC of three serious incidents.

The registered providers, brothers Mr Amjad Latif and Mr Amer Latif, of Liverpool, pleaded guilty to all offences.

Jenny Ashworth, prosecuting, told the court as a result of concerns from the family of a prospective resident, the CQC inspected Mossley Manor Care Home during May and June 2015 and were appalled at what they found.

Inspectors found some residents who were unkempt, smelling strongly of urine or body odour; some had not received a bath or shower in the previous three weeks. Bedrooms were not being cleaned regularly and some contained mouldy and congealed tea and coffee cups. Carpets were dirty and dusty. Communal toilets did not contain soap, hand towels or bins. When there was no hot water staff had to boil pans of water in the kitchen to wash residents.

Initially CQC gave the Latif brothers 24 hours to submit an action plan to make urgent improvements.

When inspectors visited again a few days later to check if this was being implemented there were still serious concerns. As a result the CQC applied to Liverpool Magistrates to urgently cancel the provider’s registration and close Mossley Manor.

The court was told that the care home had failed to control risks of serious injury. There was no proper system in place for assessing the risks to the health and safety of individual people. One woman who was blind and had a history of falls was found injured on the floor of her room on three occasions but the provider failed to take action to stop it happening again. A 77-year-old man who was at risk of choking was twice taken to hospital – but there was conflicting advice for staff on how they should support him to eat and drink safely.

No comments: